The Burrowing Bohemian

 It was late in my shift when I stumbled onto a local ride, destination unknown. I didn't learn how unknown, until much later. The pick-up address was a local motel. 
 
What kind of motel?
 
Let me put it this way. The police get a call there almost every night. It's a very small motel, and any drug you need can be bought or sold there.


As I pulled my taxi into the driveway, I kept that in mind. I was on high alert and noticed the parking lot was empty. Only one or two cars were ever parked there and if I needed a quick getaway, it would be relatively simple. I don't like complications.
 
By complications, I mean drug dealers, muggers, carjackers, or hoodlums.
 

A woman in her late twenties scurried over to my cab and quickly got in. She immediately lay down in the seat and began rocking back and forth. With her head resting near the door window, she was facing me and began giving me instructions:
 
"Go, please!"
"Hi. How are you doing?”
“Just drive!”
“Where are we going?”
“I don’t care, just drive!”
“Okay, you're the boss.”
 
So I drove. After a few minutes, curiosity got the better of me. I asked her what was wrong. She told me she wasn't feeling well, and she must have some sort of "flu-bug."
 
Every thirty to sixty seconds, she quickly sat up, blip! and looked outside. She looked through the passenger-side window, blip! the rear window, blip! and the driver-side window blip!.
 
After looking in all directions, she dipped back down in the seat, blip! and heaved a sigh of relief.
 
To anyone watching nearby, I was certain my taxi took on the appearance of a Whac-A-Mole game, played at many arcades or carnivals.


You should now have a picture in your mind of what my amusement center on wheels looked like from a distance.
 
The Whac-A-Mole game resumed.
 
Business was slow that night and I was slightly amused with my passenger's antics. The burrowing beauty was a nice distraction from the usual routine. I felt like I should have been putting quarters into a slot.
 
If I can only remember where I put that padded mallet.
 
We stopped at four or five different apartment buildings. We had no luck at finding someone to give my friend in need lodging for the night. The diva of dips and dives continued instructing me.

Blip! "Go back to the motel!” Blip!
“Okay, you’re the boss.”
Blip! “Let me know when we're there!” Blip!
 
When we got back to the motel, I noticed there were three police cars in the parking lot. A lot of activity was brewing in front of the room my restless rodent had emerged from earlier. I told her what I saw, and she reacted as if the back seat had electricity racing through its springs.

Blip! “Keep going!” Blip!
“Which way do you want me to go?”
Blip! “I don’t care! Just go!” Blip!
 
We ended up at an apartment building, where she found a friend who could take her in for the night. We had driven around the city for about two hours and ended up a whopping one mile away from the motel.
 
Nevertheless, I gained some insight while spending time with my panicky passenger. During the last leg of our adventure, she divulged some classified information to me.
 
Earlier at the motel, she got into a fight with her boyfriend. When he realized the situation was hopeless, he became infuriated and called the police. He knew the mysterious mole had an outstanding warrant, and she knew the boys in blue would be very curious about it.
 
Finally, it all made sense to me, as we arrived to our final destination for the evening.
 
Blip! "How much do I owe you?" Blip!
 
I told her the amount. She got out of the cab, paid what was on the meter, and thanked me. I told her, “No problem, any time.”
 
Before she disappeared into the night, I expressed my best wishes to her in the only way I knew how. With some sarcasm.

“I hope you're feeling better! Take care of that flu bug!"
 
I didn't get any response. I looked around, and didn't see her anywhere. She disappeared as quickly as she had appeared. I don't know where she went.
 
I don't know where she is now, but I'll bet she's busy digging another hole for herself.




Source: The Lighter Side of Yellow

Rated 5 out of 5 stars by Readers' Favorite












Special Thanks: http://flickr.com and http://photopin.com




  



No comments:

Post a Comment